Saturday, June 6, 2009

The last thing we expected to be doing Thursday night....



First of all, I have to begin by saying thank you to everyone for the constant prayers and well wishes being sent our direction. I can honestly say that I have felt the outpouring of love and the blessings that are coming to our family just through all the many prayers being said in our behalf. For those who haven't yet heard, our little baby girl decided to make her way into the world WAY sooner than anyone ever expected and 13 weeks early to be exact. I was just coming into week 27 of pregnancy. I'm not even sure if that's technically the third trimester, or if I hadn't made it that far yet.

We aren't sure yet what caused me to go into labor, we probably will never know, but it came as quite a shock. Thursday night we came into the hospital and they did everything they could to try to stop the labor, but she was insistent on meeting us and wouldn't let anything get in her way. So I proudly introduce you to our baby girl:

Eden Noelle Justice
Born Friday, June 5th, 2:06 am
Weighing in at 2 lbs, 5 oz
14.5 Inches long


From the birth she sustained some pretty good bruising on her head and face so you'll see in the pictures that she looks a little beat up. Because she was so small she was a lot more susceptible to the bruising, but it's nothing too serious. It has already improved a lot and she continues to look better and better as time goes on.

While still in the labor and delivery room, once they had a chance to clean her up and get her a little stabilized, they let Brad take a couple pictures of her. I couldn't wait to see her and was a little anxious to know what was happening on the other side of the room.


Though it was extremely brief, maybe just a minute or less, I was so blessed to be able to have my new mommy moment and hold my precious baby. They had to continue to pump her lungs while I held her, but I can't explain how I felt that moment and how special that one minute will forever be in my life. Before she was born they had given me the warning that if there were any major complications that they may have to take her to the NICU immediately without me being able to see her, so I felt very blessed that they were able to stabilize her enough for me to be able to hold her first.


Here's the proud new daddy with his little baby girl.


Here's a shot of her taken right after she was settled in her new bed in the NICU. We were able to get a couple shots of her before they completely covered her up with the incubator to help regulate her body temperature. She has continued to stay completely covered since this picture was taken.


Eden's precious little foot in my hand.


So for a quick update, the timeline we are hearing is that she will most likely need to stay here in the NICU until her due date, which puts us here for about the next three months. If all goes well, we may go just a tad sooner, but we will take that one day at a time. Eden has been amazing since the moment she was born. All the doctors tell us that we are seeing the best possible results that we could expect to see. She has been on a ventilator and some oxygen since she was born, but as time passes they have been able to turn them down and she is preforming so great on her own. In fact, all has gone so well yesterday and today that they will be taking her off the ventilator tonight and putting her on a C-Pap which is an awesome sign! She has taken so well to weaning her from the ventilator throughout the day that they are ready to take the next step already. The doctor has also said that they have not seen any infections of any kind, and that the x-rays have all come back looking great.

Again, thanks for all the many prayers on her behalf, they really are working and we hope that you will continue to keep her in your prayers as we take the next steps. I will continue to post updates as we go along.

11 comments:

Chad and Annie said...

Eden is so beautiful! We are so happy she is doing good and can not wait to meet her. We love you guys and are thinking of you constantly.

Jess & Jessica said...

She is one beautiful little angel!! You guys are doing great and I am sooooooo GLAD that you posted these pictures and some information for us. Thank you! Jess and I want to bring you a meal so PLEASE let us know when it will be good for you and we would LOVE to see you guys, so please let us know when we can. We will continue praying for Eden, but I know from the blessings she has received that she will make it just fine. We love you guys and hope everything is the best it can be for you.

Tim and Clarissa said...

It looks like your little girl is already full of surprises! We're glad things are going so well. Please let us know if we can help with anything.

Stef said...

What a beautiful name! And she is precious! She just couldn't wait to be with you! Let us know if there is anything that we can do for you!

Kristie said...

She is amazing guys! It is amazing to see such a tiny baby- so beautiful. She is one strong little gal. We are so happy she is doing so well, and you will continue to be in our thoughts and prayers. Eden is such a beautiful name BTW. We are excited to be able to meet her! We also would like to bring you dinner, so let me know when would be good. Love you guys!

Jake & Kim said...

EDEN! Beautiful! So beautiful. :) Her name fits her very well. She is so strong and such a great fighter. She has a very special spirit, who was sent to two very special parents. We are excited for you guys and so grateful things are looking so bright for you all. All our love and prayers for you all. We love you and support you. If you need anything, do not even hesitate, you have many a friend and family who want to be here for you however and whenever possible.

Love,
Wagners

Maija-Liisa said...

We are so glad Eden is doing well. When my wife looked on your blog and told me you had your baby I was so shocked, cause my wife is due about the same time you were. I can't even think about her having the baby now. We will be praying for you.

Theresa said...

She is beautiful Lisa. You are all in our prayers.

Brown Town Mom said...

I love the name, guys. Thinking of all three of you. Emma wanted me to tell you that she's praying for you, and in fact, Sunday she decided she wanted to fast for the first time-for Eden. So glad Eden's so strong. This will be a long journey for all of you, but one well worth it. Hang in there! Angela

Unknown said...

I was living a past memory while reading your post. Hunter, my oldest was 8 weeks early and he was 2.4 lb.
It was scary and special experience for me and Doug. He also was in the ventilator for few days. He was in the NICU to gain weight and strength. He is still smaller than his peers but sure he has a big spirit and endurance that still surprise me. Preemies are giants babies, just wait and see how she'll amazed you.
Congratulation.

Unknown said...

The post before is from Dora Thomas. I don't know what happen.