December 21st Eden completed her 3rd swallow study, and fortunately it was the most successful, and least stressful one yet!
Surprisingly, Eden cooperated nicely and actually ate some of the barium coated food that they gave her which allowed them to watch her swallow through the xray machine. They weren't able to see a ton of swallowing, because she spit several things out, but the results were good and it appears that she isn't aspirating or swallowing her food in a dangerous way.
She has continued to progress pretty nicely with her eating, although in comparison to what a typical 19 month would eat I know we still have a LONG way to go. Working on eating has definitley been one of the hardest struggles we have faced, and though the progress has been extremely slow, there has been progress so it keeps me motivated.
The reality is though that with the airway surgery coming up, it will create BIG changes in her airway and swallowing patterns so I know we are going to have some pretty major setbacks. The doctor also informed us that though she isn't aspirating now, the chances are really high after getting airway surgery so we definitely aren't out of the clear on this one. For now though I just continue to work on it several times a day and we will just face those potential battles as they come.
Friday, December 31, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Oh, the eating. The eating! I feel for you. I've never had breathing issues, even with Lexi who had some major struggles in the NICU. I can only imagine how frustrating and scary it is.
There are some feeding aversion websites out there that have helped me to know what is realistic. The reflux forum I visit also has a section for that and I read some of the posts just to know I'm not alone. It is a very isolating issue as most babies can't seem to get enough.
Addie is now 2 and still has horrible eating habits. Now that she can reason a bit, I try to have her take one bite of a new thing a couple of times a week. She ate pancakes for the first time yesterday. Giving her utensils seems to make her more willing 'cause she feels in control.
You are a hero! I hope you sit back sometimes and think, "Damn. I'm good. I'm a good freakin' mom!" You are. I know we're not supposed to get prideful, but you should know that not every person could do what you've done with the grace and tenacity that you have shown.
Post a Comment