Saturday, April 2, 2011

Something else....

Eden has been really healthy, and has been doing so good since the stint removal. However, there's one new problem...



Really? Her hair is falling out?

At this point we don't know exactly why this is happening, but the pediatric dermotologist has a theory that it may be alopecia aerata. My research suggests that Eden may have already been genetically predisposed to this, and something triggered it like the stress and heavy medications from her surgery a couple weeks ago. Apparently it is a autoimmune problem, and if Eden does have alopecia aerata, it means her immune system is attacking and killing the hair follicles.

Unfortunately there isn't a lot we can do to help stop this except we will start applying a topical steroid to her scalp to help reduce the fall-out and increase the chance of regrowth. The stuff I read online says there is a 50/50 chance that the hair will regrow, but then the percentage is even worse for people who get it at such a young age. We will pray for regrowth....

.....my faith is tested once again.

5 comments:

Kristie said...

noooo! I will pray for regrowth too! Well I'm glad everything else seems to be going well. Hopefully the derm. is wrong and it is just from the meds/stress. (I bet it is too...) Love you guys!

Aria said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Aria said...

I'm sorry to hear this! I will definitely be praying for her (and you as your strength is continually challenged!)

Fortunately she happens to be a very beautiful girl, she is not her hair! It's been on my heart to offer, and this post just encouraged me to finally do it - I have been making fancy headbands and hats and I really want to make one for her. If you check out my facebook album "Gettin' creative y'all" you can see the types of things I have done. I imagined making her one of the rose headbands, but anything you request is fine with me. I'm not sure how the shunt interferes with her ability to wear headbands? But I also have the crocheted 'waffle' headbands in all kinds of colors that would be gentler on her head. Just let me know if you are interested at all, and if so message me with colors and designs you like. Eden deserves it!

Aria

Jess & Jessica said...

I am so sorry. We will pray for Eden still. I can't believe the things you guys are enduring. You all are wonderful.

Riddlez said...

Wow Lisa. Prayers and good vibes coming your way.

Are they going to do a swallow study? Make sure they use goldfish crackers (poor humor I know).

Seriously though. Take it from one who has walked part of that road: let her eat them all day if she wants. One way you can "trick" her is to get the multicolored ones. They'll taste the same but visually, she'll accept something new. In 6 months or so, I bet she'll be eating a few different things. But, it is slow. Kinda like a vortex of suffering slow.

Hang in there, even if it's by the hair of your chinny chin chin.