Friday, September 1, 2023

Bentley's 50% Homeschool

We are a couple weeks in to the new school year now with Bentley being in the 50% program.  This means he only goes to school Tues-Friday from 8-12:30.    I'd say so far we would give this a thumbs up as being a great fit for him.  He comes home and gets right to his work.  It has been so great to see him being organized with a list of things to do, and having initiative to get home, stay focused, and get his work done.  He usually finishes with plenty of time before the girls get home from school, so we are finding some fun ways to spend time together, like throwing the football, playing pickleball (not his favorite), bike rides or walks (also not his favorite), playing board games, etc.   You can tell which ones are my ideas, and which ones are his ideas. ha ha     It has been really fun having this one on one time.  He is my buddy, and I love hanging out with him.




The only thing he really doesn't like about his new schedule is that he no longer has class (or recess) with all his buddies.  At least for a couple more weeks, we have had the option to stay after school from 12:30-1, when he is done for the day, but his old class is going out to recess.  It has been perfect for him to run around with them for 30 minutes, and then go home with me to get lunch and finish his homework.  Unfortunately, this perfect situation won't last, as his old class is getting their recess time switched soon and will be during his last 30 minutes of school.  I'll have to figure out a way to get him with his friends more often, because missing that social and physical time will really be a bummer!

I have also really enjoyed going through Bentley's work that his new teacher sends home,  He is very creative and funny.  I always get a kick out of the random and hilarious things he comes up with, and sometimes the funny banter back and forth between him and his teacher.


Bentley, I'm proud of the man you are becoming. I'm grateful for this time I get to spend with you, and the involvement I get in your education this year.  Keep up the good work!

No comments: