Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Bubble Blowing

To some this may seem silly, but we hit a very huge milestone yesterday. Since the stint came out in late September, Ede has been able to wear her speaker valve again and we are making progress with her voice. Yesterday we had the speaker valve on and I was blowing bubbles for her, and she insisted that she try to do it. In the past, she puckers her lips really cute, but she has never actually ever been able to get any air out of her mouth, and therefore has never blown bubbles.

She was persistent yesterday though and failed a bunch of times before she finally figured out how to get the air up through her airway, out of her mouth, and through the bubble wand to actually create bubbles! Like I said, kind of silly, but to us this is huge because she is finally now capable, and has figured out how to get a big breath out of her mouth. I'm not sure who was more excited by this to be honest. She was shocked by it just like I was, but she was so excited and happy too. For the next hour, she just sat on the porch and blew bubbles over and over again, each time stopping to smile and laugh between blows. It was definitely a precious moment and one I was so happy to witness.

With each sound of her raspy voice, and every small step like bubble blowing yesterday, we are seeing the progress that's being made on her airway and we are so excited. Since her reconstructive surgery in March, it's been a long road, but we are making progress and it's absolutely awesome!

2 comments:

Jess & Jessica said...

Yay for Eden!!! that is a huge deal and thank you for sharing. Eden is doing so well and is truly a little miracle in our lives. We love you, Eden!

Riddlez said...

What a huge milestone to reach! I'm sure you were over the moon with gratitude and excitement for what this may mean down the road when it all came together.

Hope you're feeling good and enjoying the fall.
T