Sunday, January 15, 2012

Pregnancy Update


This picture was taken Dec. 31st, I was 25 weeks along. The following day we were at the hospital in OB Triage for pre-term labor issues. All throughout the morning I was bleeding, and then by that afternoon I was having contractions about every hour. We decided that we needed to go in and get everything checked out because if I was in labor, I wanted to have a better chance of stopping it early.

When we first got there, they did an FFN test which can predict if you're likely to go into labor in the next 2 weeks. While waiting for the results, they had me hooked up to monitor contractions, and they also checked to see if I was dialating. Fortunately, my cervix was still closed and the FFN came back negative. It was all good news, but they recommended I begin a modified bedrest to hopefully help the contractions to stop.

The following week, Sunday the 8th, we were back in OB Triage because I was having tons of contractions, up to 3 per hour. The contractions feel just as I remember them when we went into the hospital with Eden, except in her case, by the time we got to the hospital and they checked me I was already dialated to 5cm and there was no stopping it at that point. So even though I was feeling fine, when we called the doctor and told them I was contracting 3 times an hour, they felt it was best we head back in to ensure everything was still ok. Again I was sent home with good news, that despite the continuous contractions, my cervix was still closed.

So even though I've been on modified bedrest, and drinking tons of water, the contractions are still coming every day, but are not as regular and consistent as they were. At this point, I'm focusing more on whether they start to change, or get more painful, rather than just the frequency because so far the frequency hasn't actually affected anything. It definitely adds a little anxiety because I just don't want to miss the signs I should be aware of.

So here we are today, I'm currently 27 weeks which is the week in the pregnancy that I had Eden. I'm so happy we have made it to this point, despite the complications we have already faced. I can't begin to express my gratitude for my parents, especially my mom because they have done so much for us to help with Eden so that I can stay off my feet as much as possible. Brad has been amazing too and has balanced his career with taking care of so much in the evenings when he gets home. I feel so helpless most the time, but know that this is temporary and the best thing I can do to help get our baby boy here safely.

3 comments:

Leigh said...

Let me know if you need any help! I LOVE playing Barbies and coloring with little ones!! I am praying that everything holds out until things are safer for this little boy to be born!!!

Heather said...

Thanks for the update!! I was checking every day. :) I'm so glad things seem to be going well despite all the scary contractions. I imagine each week after 27 will be a huge accomplishment and so comforting. We are praying for you!!

Maija-Liisa said...

We are praying for you!