Sunday, August 13, 2023

Happy 18th Wedding Anniversary!

Happy 18th birthday to our family!!  Man, when I think back to that wedding date 18 years ago, we were such babies and really had no idea what we were doing. ha ha  Eden is only 5 years away from the age I was when I met Brad and that just makes me feel a lot of nervous feelings. Being the parent is much scarier than being the "know it all" teenager.  ha ha 

 But what an 18 years it has been!  And what a journey of growth and love.   Marriage has brought us a lot of experiences to push us to the highest of joys, and the lowest of sorrows. These past few years have been especially challenging, but especially meaningful as we have worked through some difficult cycles that needed to be broken!  I'm so grateful for a partner willing to stay committed to the process, and committed to the work.  Something I've learned these past few years is that marriage is not about how to get someone to love you the way you want/deserve to be loved, but instead it's about promising to God, yourself, and your partner to be the kind of person who will love the other and to honestly pursue the good of the other person with the most integrity possible, no matter what you get in return.  It's really hard, but it's what real love looks like.  I'm proud of Brad and I for all the very hard work we have put into it these last few years, especially to face our own insecurities and unkind behaviors, and learning to be more vulnerable with one another.  It's been a journey, and a beautiful love story.

Eden was very sweet and offered to make us an anniversary cake.  It was delicious and so thoughtful of her!  Thank you Eden!
Happy anniversary Brad.  I love you and am grateful that we are partners committed to this thing called marriage that is about so much more than I knew 18 years ago!

 

No comments: