Monday, January 17, 2011

The plan.... at least for now

Something I've learned through dealing with Eden's medical problems, plans change quickly around here!

We heard back from the Nuerosurgeon at UNMH and he diagnosed Eden with hydrocephalus. Courtesty of WebMD, here's the quick definition of hydrocephalus: occurs when the delicate balance of CSF production and absorption is disrupted and CSF builds up in the brain. This build-up of CSF causes the brain to swell, and for pressure to increase inside the skull, resulting in nerve damage.

The major problem we face now is that the docs here don't know what has caused this for Eden. Their solution though was to get her in on Monday the 24th to do a brain shunt. I immediately felt it wasn't the right path for us to put her through brain surgery before first exploring other options or at least getting a second opinion.

So the plan now is to leave for Denver today and she will be seen by a nuerosurgeon in Denver tomorrow. I definitely feel more comfortable getting a second opinion before doing the shunt. I feel good about going to Denver because it's a bigger hospital, with a team of nuerosurgeons so hopefully by collaberating together someone will have experience with a case like Eden's. If we still have to go the route of getting a shunt, at least I will know that it was absolutely the only solution.

As far as the airway surgery that was scheduled for the 27th, we are just going to wait and see what happens with the nuero stuff first. It most likely will be rescheduled, but we don't know that for sure yet. So Eden and I are heading out on a somewhat "unknown" adventure. I will do my best to keep the blog updated with the latest!

No comments: