At the end of June we flew out to Denver for our stint follow-up with the ENT. Fortunately this time Eden didn't have to go under anesthesia, but she definitely wasn't happy about being held down while he put the camera scope through her nose and down into her airway. Fortunately, it went fast and he was able to see what he needed to see rather quickly and get that thing back out. Everything looked good with no granulation tissue growing over the stint so all is well. Next up will be a trip back to Denver in September to get the stint removed. At that point we will begin the regular visits again to see whether or not this is going to work.
In other medical news, Eden was back at the cardiologist yesterday to check the hole in her heart. As we left it last year, the doctor said the hole was there but wasn't big enough that it needed to be fixed right away. However, he said he would check her annually and if it was still there by her 3rd or 4th birthday that she would need surgery to close the hole. So needless to say, I was a bit nervous going into the appointment because I was hoping the hole would be closed, but was also prepared for any bad news we might receive.
After looking over the images, the cardiologist came in and said, "well with most situations you've faced with Eden, there's good news and bad news." Immediately my heart sunk, but fortunately he didn't leave me hanging long and said, "the bad news is for me because I am officially discharging Eden and no longer scheduling visits to see her because her heart looks perfect." I was so happy at that moment I wanted to hug him, but I controlled the urge knowing that might make things really awkward. :)
I left that appointment feeling so happy and light because I felt like a huge burden had been lifted from my shoulders. I didn't realize until it went away that always having a possible heart surgery looming over us was really weighing me down. Now that I know her heart looks great, I can completely put that behind us. I feel so good knowing we are that much closer to being on a healthy path for Eden.
This Thursday we are back at the hospital for another follow-up eye exam to make sure her optic nerves look ok. I'm very hopeful that we will be receiving some good news there too.
Now we just have to get this airway fixed and we are good to go! I like knowing I can just worry about that area and not several all at once. As the problems are slowly fixed one by one, I am feeling a stronger determination to face what we have left with a positive outlook.
5 comments:
LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that happy news! Eden is one tough cookie! I am so happy for your Lisa! You are such a wonderful, strong woman. And a phenominal Mommy!!!!
Leigh
I agree! Hallelujah for HAPPY NEWS. I am glad you guys are home for now. :) You guys are doing a great job with your sweet baby.
Yay for good news! I have been thinking about you all week. So glad it's good news! Love ya!
Steph
I am so happy to hear about Eden's heart being perfect :) I feel like I know you guys since following your blog since Eden was born.
I just wanted to say thank you for all your kind and perfect messages and emails in the past couple weeks. It is so nice to have people who understand what you are going through. Even though you haven't lost a child you totally understand the whole WAY TOO EARLY labor thing and how scary it is. Being pregnant and having that happen again is now my new worst fear in life.
That book you sent us was absolutely perfect. I read it in one day and felt very comforted while reading it. I am sure I will read it again over again in the coming months as I am trying to deal with this. That was a very thoughtful thing to do.
I told Jared that I really want to meet you in person. You are such an amazing example with everything you have gone through with Eden and how you have handled it. I also think it would be fun for Ava and Eden to meet since they are practically the same age. :) Maybe we will have to come to the Hot air balloon festival in the next couple years.
Anyway, I wish I could really put into words how thankful I am for everything you have done. Your messages really were so helpful and I am grateful Jared has such a wonderful cousin.
Love, Maija-Liisa
That is awesome news!! What a burden lifted off of your shoulders.
Post a Comment