Thursday, September 13, 2012

Cinderella Shoes and Eating

So obviously eating has been a horrible nightmare with Eden. She continues to struggle and fight against most everything I try. I give her food at each meal, and offer her snacks whenever I'm eating something, but I'm lucky if I can get her to take a couple bites.

So as we are preparing to go to the intensive feeding therapy in Denver, I was curious to try one more experiement to see if getting her really motivated would help.

A few weeks ago we were at the Disney Store and Eden saw some Cinderella shoes that she really wanted. She continued to talk about them for weeks so I decided those may be the key to "bribing" her into eating.

With every bite she swallowed, she could put a sticker on her chart and when the chart was full she would get her beloved shoes. It took 4 days to get 49 bites, but today with lunch she got enough stickers to complete her chart. She was so excited!

She couldn't get those shoes out of the bag fast enough.

Even during this experiment, she continued to refuse anything for breakfast, and either lunch or dinner would be awesome, with the other meal being pretty rough. I'm not sure that this will help create any habit of eating, but at least now I know that with the right motivation she will at least eat something! This was definitely the most she has eaten in a four day period. It gives me useful information to take to the team at the intensive feeding therapy next week.

It's a battle I will continue to fight! As I type this, she is laying in her bed clapping the heels of her shoes together and watching the lights flash. :) Cute girl...

No comments: