I had a conversation with Eden the other day that has kept me thinking. It began in the morning sometime when she asked why I wore makeup. I didn't really go into much detail, I don't even remember exactly what I told her, but it was something like "my face and skin isn't as young and beautiful as it used to be, so makeup freshens me up a bit". She didn't reply and we moved on.
Later that evening, she was in my bathroom with me chatting about something and I happened to be washing my face, and getting ready for bed. She said, "mom I think you look better without your makeup." I said, "You do?" and she said, "Yeah, I just like to see the real you."
I was a very shy kid, and unfortunately gained my "confidence" through what everyone else thought about me. I could definitely say I was a late bloomer as far as confidence goes. In many ways, Eden is so much like me. From the time she was very small I've wanted to help her find a strong self confidence, and not worry so much about what others say or think about her. I love and cherish her so much, and if she could see her value through my eyes, she would see just how amazing she is. I actually feel like my efforts to help her love and value herself has helped strengthen my own self confidence. I have to believe this must be how my Heavenly Father must feel about me as His child, knowing my potential, the desires of my heart, and wanting me to see myself through His eyes. So knowing all that, who cares about makeup?
Eden telling me that she likes to see the real me made me think that she must be learning and understanding the true meaning of beauty. It's not the nice clothes, or perfect makeup. It's the beauty that is natural and real and has nothing to do with the things we put on us. I hope she will keep this perspective as she gets older and the pressure from peers becomes stronger.
She has such an amazing soul. She has taught me so many lessons. I love her with a depth I can't even describe.
Monday, July 17, 2017
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
The "real you" is beautiful. When we were dating a got a look at you without make up and thought--wow, she's beautiful.
Post a Comment