So here's what the ENT had to say:
There is definitely some swelling going on (which we knew), but not enough swelling that would prevent her from staying off the vent. The swelling though does make her airway smaller which could be one of the reasons why it was so difficult for her to be reintubated each time in the past.
She also said there may be some tracheal malasia (which is a soft airway), but again, it didn't seem bad enough to prevent her from breathing on her own. This was hard for her to know for sure though because Eden was under anesthesia so she wasn't breathing like she normally does. It is possible that her airway is collapsing a little more when she is off the vent and trying to breath on her own. This is something they can't know for sure though until they can evaluate her off the vent and breathing on her own!
And that's about it. Her opinion is that from her evaulation of Eden today while she was under anesthesia, there really doesn't appear to be an airway issue that's preventing a successful extubation.
So now we will be passed back to the neonatalogist to determine the next steps. We haven't had a chance to talk to him yet, but in our discussion with the nurse and the ENT, the next step will most likely be for the neonatalogist to try to extubate her. At this time they can evaluate her and see if they can hear any weezing in her airway, or see if maybe it's more of a lung issue.
So we are back to square one - waiting for another extubation - but at least we know she doesn't have a significant airway problem! So I guess, in a way, it is like we just took another step forward!
Here are some pictures from today's events:
Eden in the transfer bed waiting to head over to the operating room.
Thank goodness she got some girl bedding back...
She's such a cutie...
Look at those cute little chubby fingers
Love that lip!
Sorry... all the little things are just especially cute to me today.
This doesn't look very comfortable to me, but she seemed pretty content!
She also got a visit from uncle Michael today too. And he even got to hold her... how spoiled!
Whew - big day. I think that's a wrap for now. Hopefully soon we will get a chance to meet with the neonatalogist to find out what the game plan will be. Until then, we will continue to hang out and make new friends.
5 comments:
Oh I am so jealous! I haven't even gotten to hold her! Michael must be the favorite! JK Well I guess it is good to have some news. At least now you know there were no major issues. She is so cute and getting so chubby! Thanks for updating so I can know whats going on!
Wow, I just got caught up on your eventful weekend, since I was out of town. What a trooper little Eden is - I can't imagine how hard that must be for both of you to have to watch her struggle so much...we are praying for the best - hopefully they will have some answers soon!
She is so cute. I really do love your updates glad for the good news. I also love her chubby fingers she is just precious. You look great. Glad Eden is such a strong girl. We are praying for you and hope you find answers soon. What a lucky Uncle!
How great that she doesn't have a significant airway problem! And I have to say, I love it when she puts her hand up there by the tube. I wonder if she'll be a finger/thumb sucker after she's got that out! :D We continue to pray for you guys and are glad to see that there is progress, however small. :)
Good news and sounds like she is in good hands.
Post a Comment