Sunday, August 9, 2009

Updates on our journey...

Life has been somewhat uneventful since Friday, which is good. It always takes Eden a couple days to recover from an extubation attempt so she's just been extra sleepy. Here are a few pictures from Friday...

This is right after they took her off the ventilator and put her on the CPAP machine. It went smoothly for a long time and I'm grateful I got to hold her and help keep her calm.


She worked so hard for about 4 hours to keep her breathing up. It was heart wrenching for me to watch her struggle for so long. They wanted to make sure they waited long enough before reintubating her though because we all had to be sure she really couldn't make it on her own. We couldn't give up on her too soon, even though I really just wanted to help her. She was so tired though once they finally got her back on the ventilator.


My sister Kally and her family were in for the weekend from Arizona so we were so glad they came to visit Eden at the hospital.


Here's my brother-in-law Dallen meeting Eden for the first time.


We are so fortunate to have such great family and friends who have been so supportive throughout this process. We really couldn't get through this without you all so we appreciate you more than we can express!

She has recovered nicely from Friday, which she always does. Today she has been waking up a little more frequently, but she is still so sleepy even when she does wake up.

Unfortunately she lost some weight over the last few days because of all the stress and trauma. As of last night she was 4 lb 9.7 oz.

She also had to get another blood transfusion today. So an IV was back in her head once again! Her red blood cells were really low again so she had to get some more. She already looks nice and pink again.

Fortunately I did get to hold her today. That's always the highlight of my day.




This was right after I unwrapped her. In the past she would always hurry and stretch our her legs and arms, but lately she has started to curl herself up into the fetal position when we unwrap her... I think it's so cute!



So for now we wait to find out the next step. We may or may not be able to transfer to UNMH tomorrow. I am hearing rumors that they may not have a bed available right now. I sure hope we won't have to stay here waiting for too long! There's a chance they may take her tomorrow, so we'll just hope and pray for that. We are anxious to move on and find out what the problem is so we can get on the road to recovery!

In the meantime we just continue to smother her with all our love!

2 comments:

Jen Kesler said...

I'm sorry things didn't work out last week and that Eden had to go through all that trauma again (and that you and Brad had to stand by and watch your sweet girl go through it....so scary). She is one tough cookie! I'll be praying that a bed opens up at UNM-H!! The last photo is so cute with her all scrunched up. Love it!

BTW, thanks for the card you sent in the mail...that was really sweet of you!

Stephanie said...

Brad, Lisa and Baby Eden,
All our thoughts and prayers are with you. Hope this week ends well with the move to UNMH and some good plans for the next step! Good Luck tomorrow and keep fighting little Eden! She is such a beautiful baby girl. We love you and miss you!

Sending all our Love,
Greg, Steph, Keegan, Mason and Griff :)