The ENT specialist who will be doing the procedure is currently the only pediatric ENT in the state so we were given a heads-up that she may not be able to squeeze us into the schedule for a while. It took us about a week just to get her over here to meet with me about the trach so I thought for sure we would have a couple weeks.
So she came yesterday to discuss the procedure and answer questions and then we started discussing the schedule. She said, "We could possibly fit her in on Wednesday if I can get a second OR room." It completely took my breath away and I said, "You mean this Wednesday? As in the day after tomorrow?" Yup, that's what she meant.
So needless to say I've had quite the anxiety bubble inside of me since yesterday afternoon and feel as though I may burst at any moment. The good news is that this is the path we feel is right so we might as well get a move on!
So once the plan was in place for her to get the trach Wednesday, the neonatalogist decided that we would try one last extubation today just to make sure. Well, Eden decided she didn't want to wait until today and took the liberty to take her tube out herself last night. They got her stabilized and then put her on the CPAP but again, the problems were immediate and she was not able to sustain her oxygen for very long at all. This is what I was expecting to happen, but I knew I would always wonder if getting the trach was the right thing if we hadn't tried at least one more time. So now we know for sure that the trach is what she needs in order to progress. So here we go!
Today has been a busy day for me with meetings and visits from all kinds of doctors and specialized nurses. The last meeting today was with the trach nurse that will be helping us through the process. I know I'm going to need her a ton so I am glad to know that she seems like a great person to work with.
We have also been receiving a lot of information about developmental programs and home care nursing programs, and many other very useful resources that we will need once we are home and adjusting to life with a "medically fragile" child. This is going to be interesting. I knew life as a stay at home mom was going to be busy, but I think this is going to get a whole lot more complicated!
Also on the schedule for today was to give Eden a bath so that she is nice and clean and ready for her big day tomorrow. Besides, with the recovery after the procedure I'm not really sure when I'll be able to give her a good bath anyway. I enjoyed that and always love the clean baby smell!
So for all of you reading this today, please remember us, and especially Eden and the doctor performing the procedure, in your prayers tonight and tomorrow.
So to finish up the post, here's some general info:
Eden is now getting 63 ccs of milk every three hours via the feeding tube. They have decreased the amount of extra calories they are adding to the milk too because she was putting on weight so quickly. She is now 8 lbs 1 oz!
An explosion of pink... right down to the bracelet! :o)
We can't wait to be able to see her whole face without all the tape (even though it will be a while before her cheeks can heal).
10 comments:
We hope everything goes great tomorrow and that Eden can recover quickly from the trach. We will be praying for you and thinking about you. I am glad that you guys are on the road to going home. We love you and good luck tommorow!
Wow! Fast forward huh... you will definitely be in our thoughts and prayers. Hope all goes well tomorrow. Eden is a beautiful little girl!! :)
She is so cute! My boys will love being able to see her chubby cheeks... They always want me to take the tape off everytime we look at the pics of her! I am glad you guys are working now towards something and not just sitting there anymore. We will be thinking of you and praying for all involved! We love you all!
Wow, that's so sudden! Your attitude is just so amazing. I love reading your blog. Not only is Eden adorable, but it's so inspiring to see how well you are handling this. We'll be thinking and praying for you guys tomorrow. Good luck, little Eden!
Good luck Brad, Lisa, and Eden! We'll be praying for you. When Eden and Lydia are older they can talk about how much cooler they are than all the others kids because they have had trachs. What a little angel she is!
She is so big! We hope all goes well. You have definitely been in our thoughts and prayers.
Whoa! Is that a total roller coaster ride or what!?! We love you guys and will be praying for Eden and the medical staff.
Hope it all works out for little Eden. We will be praying for her! And wow! she is at 8lbs. What a cute chunk!
We are all thinking of you and praying for you all! I can't wait to hear how things go!!!
I hope the trach went well. I plan on learning how to do Lyddie's trach soon, so maybe once you guys get a handle on things we can have Lydie and Eden over so you guys can go out.
Post a Comment