Saturday, January 29, 2011

Shunt surgery went well

Everything with the shunt surgery on Thursday went really well. The poor baby has quite a recovery ahead of her, but she has already made such progress.

We got there about 6:30am and around 8:30 they were wheeling her off to the operating room. Prior to taking her away though, one of the doctors brought in a blue permanent marker to mark the right side of her head where she would be getting the shunt. The marker was then left on the bed which was a bad idea because while we were all discussing what was about to go down, Eden found that marker, took off the cap and proceeded to paint her mouth with it.


Immediately after surgery they moved Eden into the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit where we met up with her. Here's what we saw of our beautiful little girl


The first day we kept right on top of getting her morphine as soon as we could. I could definitely tell when the medicine was starting to wear off, but overall she seemed to stay pretty comfortable.

Each day she seems to get a little better. Yesterday she was sitting up and playing a little bit which was so nice to see. Both the IPad and her daddy were huge helps with entertaining her.



The nurse also removed the bandages that were covering both her head and stomach incisions. Each day I have to clean them and put some ointment on them and then we will go back next Friday to get the staples removed.



We were also able to get discharged yesterday so we are now home which has been SO MUCH better! We were all so happy to be in our own beds last night and I know Eden is much more comfortable here. She has attempted to play with toys, and even danced a little bit, but she always quickly comes back to snuggle and rest. I am happy to see though that she is trying to get back to normal. She is such a fighter and a true inspiration to me every day.

Now, after getting all the medical updates out there, I have to ask.... what the heck am I supposed to do about her hair? I'm not going to lie, I'm heartbroken about it and know it's going to be a really long time before it looks decent again. Poor girl. This is going to be interesting for sure. Any suggestions?

5 comments:

Abby said...

I'm so glad the surgery went well and that you're home to start the recovery process there. What a strong little girl you have.

How about shaving the rest of her head and buying oodles and oodles of cute hats? The beanie style ones?

Jess & Jessica said...

She is such a fighter. I know after something like that I would not be as positive as her. She is such a sweet girl. We are grateful for the update. We really like to know what is going on with our sweet Eden. Annie and I were talking about Eden's hair and thinking maybe you can shave it and get some cute hats she could wear until it grows a bit. Or maybe you can just put cute bows/headbands on her head like when she was a baby or you try to style it with the hair she has left. Eden will look adorable no matter what. She is one beautiful girl. We love you guys and we will do ANYTHING for you. :)

Aria said...

Just got caught up on your blogs since before Christmas... sorry to hear Eden's had so many medical surprises, but happy to see she is (and you are) managing well. If I were you, I would opt NOT to shave her head, but to work with what she has; lots of thick headbands, and I think you have a great excuse to splurge on Etsy.com and get all the cute beanies you want!

Leigh said...

I am so glad that Eden is doing well. It seems as though she handles everything that it thrown at her like a champ!

As for her hair, just buy a lot of cute little hats. Her hair will be back before you know it! She is super cute even when she is rocking the 80's flop haircut!;-)

Leigh said...
This comment has been removed by the author.