Monday, February 3, 2014

The funny things kids say...

The other day Eden and Bentley were over by her craft table in the office and I was around the corner in the bathroom doing my makeup when I overheard this little conversation:

Eden: "Bentley don't stand on that"
Bentley: "No Dee Dee"
Eden: "Ok you can stand on it but it might fall"
(silence for a few seconds in which it's obvious Bentley didn't get down)
Eden: "Ok but that's not the right choice!"

I had to chuckle, and experienced a little bit of a proud parenting moment as I overheard Eden mimic me in the way that I often allow them to make choices despite my warnings of potential consequences. It was cute.

I've learned though that they don't always just mimic the cute stuff! I've often heard Bentley say, "Oh Shoot!" Or "Darn it!" And Ruby doesn't bark in the house often, but when she does I yell "Ruby stop it!" so now if Ruby makes any noise at all, Bentley yells "Ruby stop it!" and it doesn't sound very cute. :)

The other night we were driving in the car somewhere and I didn't want Eden to fall asleep. It had been quiet for too long so I said, "Hey Eden, are you sleeping?" She said no, and then to just try to keep a conversation going I kept asking her questions like, "Are you happy?" "Are you funny" etc. Now quite often when we are in the car, if it's quiet for a minute Bentley says, "Hey Dee Dee, you sleeping?" She says no, and they he says, "You happy?" And then he celebrates and gets so excited when she says she is happy. It was really funny and cute the first few times, but now it drives Eden crazy and she gets so frustrated. He doesn't seem to mind though and I still find it very cute. :)

Today I was redirecting Bentley from climbing the bookshelves and he wasn't listening or getting down as I asked him too. Eden tried intervening and bossing him around, which she often does. I said, "Hey Eden, I'm the mom and I'll handle it. Thank you though." To which she replied, "No I think I'll be the mom now and you can be the grandma." Nice...

No comments: