Friday, May 16, 2014

A Day at Kindergarten

Brad and I are still on the fence about whether or not Eden will do another year of preschool, or if she will be ready to start kindergarten in the fall. This summer she will turn five, so in regards to age she is able to go into kindergarten. Also, academically she is ready to start, but she potentially has some major medical stuff coming up this summer which may lead to lots of travel to Denver throughout the rest of the year which would leave her missing lots of school. So we just aren't sure yet what we are doing. As a little practice run though, a teacher here invited us to come spend the day in kindergarten so Eden could see what it was like. It was such a funny experience to say the least.

The teacher had prepped the kids and they all knew to expect a special visitor. I think the best way to describe it would be that Eden was like a precious little kitten that everyone wanted to pet and hold. ha ha They were all so loving and attentive in a very overwhelming kind of way. They all wanted to sit by her, play with her, and help her and Eden hardly said a word as she was trying to process all the attention. It was very cute.

Eden loved the craft project, of course. She rocked at this and her project was definitely as good, if not better than a lot of the kindergarteners. This is definitely an area of strength for her!
She sat with the kids and ate her lunch, and got right in with the kids during the dance party at the end of the day.

Recess was a hilarious disaster really. As soon as we walked out the door to the playground I knew it was going to be very overwhelming for her. It was only kindergarten aged kids, but the playground was crawling with screaming, running children. At every moment, we were also surrounded by at least five or six kids asking Eden to play with them, grabbing her hands, or trying to show her something. We could hardly walk because they were just swarming us! To make matters a little more complicated, little Olivia was now very ready to eat so I figured I'd try to get that done while recess was going on so that I'd be ready to help Eden once we got back into the classroom. We found a bench on the side of the playground so I started to feed Olivia. Eden wasn't up for going out to play so I supported her decision to sit by me and watch the kids play. The problem though is that they were too excited about Eden, and now Olivia too, so I couldn't get them to leave us! I was trying to feed Olivia, and she was completely covered up, but then the questions began and the kids who don't know about breast feeding started to get really curious. It was crazy, and obviously not going to work! So I moved into the breezeway of the building (where the kids are not allowed to go during recess) so that I could finish feeding Olivia. Eden of course was feeling way too overwhelmed to stay out there without me, so she came and sat beside me as I fed the baby. The kids were so relentless though and we continued to have an audience..... hilarious!
They kept yelling in the door, "Eden are you ready to play yet?" and then when the bell rang, they were all so sad that recess was over before they got to play! It was definitely a funny day. Eden felt very loved, but I'm not sure she felt very confident about going to kindergarten without a body guard (me of course ha ha). Good times...

No comments: