A couple weeks ago, it was about 4am and I woke up to the pitter patter of little running feet. Because Eden has always been hooked up with her trach machines, she has never wondered out of her bed. Until very recently, we have never had a child roaming around the house in the night, or coming into our room first thing in the morning. Many parents I know have complained about having a child waking them up, or climbing into their bed. Because I couldn't have it, I always imagined it to be such a sweet experience, one I knew that I wouldn't take for granted.
So because Eden is still basically connected to her bed, I knew the sound of those little feet had to be Bentley's. I stayed very still, acting as if I was still asleep to see what he would do. He quietly walked over to my side of the bed and stood beside me whispering so quietly, "Oh, mommy's still sleeping. I'll be quiet, mommy's still sleeping." He then proceeded to lay on the floor by my bed for a minute, rolling around as if he was trying to get comfortable. A couple minutes later I heard him walking away and then there was tugging on the blanket from the other side of the bed as he was trying to climb up on Brad's side. Brad was out of town for work and Bentley must have seen that there was a big empty space in the bed. So while still mumbling very quietly to himself, he climbed on into the bed and started arranging the pillows and getting comfortable. While still whispering and basically narrating everything he was doing, he worked his way under the covers. As he was getting under the blanket, it pulled down off of me so he began pulling it back up over my shoulders and whispering, "mommy's sleeping. Here's the blanket. Shhhh... be quiet. etc." At this point, it was incredibly hard to keep still and quiet. I was trying not to laugh, and also loving this little moment more than I can describe. It was taking every ounce of self control I could muster to not grab him and start smothering him in hugs and kisses.
After he got daddy's pillows all arranged, and both of us tucked under the blanket, he snuggled right up next to me and I put my arm around him and pulled him close. He said, "I love you mommy, night night" and we both went back to sleep incredibly happy and feeling so blessed. I love this boy so much and these precious moments that I have to reflect just how amazing my life is.
Monday, July 28, 2014
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I like how he is in the center of the bed and sideways. The things we do for our kids....lol
Post a Comment