Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Olive's Haircut

So we were beginning the bedtime routine and Brad was in helping Olive brush teeth when he said, "Hey mom, have you seen Olive's hair?"    

So.....it happened.  We had our first experience with a child cutting her own hair.  Actually I really surprised myself with how much I didn't react.  I figured this type of thing was inevitable and it actually was pretty funny.  And on top of that - she did a pretty good job!  

So I asked her what happened and where her hair was.  She took me down to the craft room and showed me the big pile of hair and scissors on the floor.  She was pretty melancholy and didn't really have much to say for once.  Look at this face....
Her hair had been getting so long and we recently have been talking about the movie "Tangled" and how her hair was getting long like Rapunzel.  I asked her why she cut it and she said, "I don't know, I just decided I didn't want it to be long like a princess."
So it turns out she gathered both sides and gave herself a pretty good little bob.  There was just a big section in the back that was still long.  I'm so glad she didn't decide to go any shorter!
We had a good talk about why mommy is the only one in the family who cuts hair, and she agreed she wouldn't do it again.  I didn't want to make a big deal out of it because I knew she felt bad, but I also wanted to make sure she took it seriously and wouldn't so it again.  So the next day we took some dollars from her piggy bank to help pay for her to get her hair fixed.

So here is her pretty hair before and after.  She's such a cutie.
She had gotten herself dressed that morning, and her shirt was one she found in the Halloween costume box.  I didn't notice until later when I was looking at the pictures that it says "I'm a wee Witch". ha ha
Little sister approved and wanted to be included in the pictures too.
Aside from the fact that the lady at Great Clips cut it a little crooked, I've decided that I actually love this cut on Olive.  She looks so cute and her hair dries so straight that it fits this style so good.
One thing I can really appreciate about Olive is that she helps me be more adaptable. Because of her I have learned to relax a little and not take things so seriously.  Thanks for that Olive.... let's just not go too strong too fast.  :)

1 comment:

Brad Justice said...

I can't believe it happened. I was walking with her into the bathroom and thought, "That hair looks really short..." Then I saw weird scraggly parts. "Oh no..."

It turned out very cute and I think she learned the lesson.