Monday, May 17, 2010

Eden's illness update


I'm excited to someday get our living room back. She has quite the setup!

Sleeping is something she's been doing a lot of over the past week. Tomorrow will mark the one week anniversary since we went to the ER and unfortunately there haven't been too many changes in the right direction. Some of the symptoms of the trach infection have gone away, which makes me think the antibiotics are working to get rid of it, but she is still on about 4 times as much oxygen as she was before she was sick, which is pretty extreme. While watching her breath it's pretty easy to see that it's quite the struggle for her poor little body.

I've been in contact with three different doctors who all seem to be a little confused by this too. I've been given a plan to follow: nebulizer breathing treatments every 4 hours around the clock, and steroid medication twice a day to see if this will help reduce her oxygen dependance. We will go in to see the pulmonologist doctor tomorrow so she can take a look too.

I continue to hope and pray that she will be recovered enough for her bronchoscopy appointment this Friday. Miracles do happen!

I must say though, thank goodness for the feeding tube! Without that, we would have definitely had even more severe problems this week! Eden has absolutely refused to have anything near her mouth so I've been able to keep her fed and hydrated through the tube. She hasn't taken so much as a drop in the past week. She just sees me coming towards her with a bottle and she starts to fuss. I just hope and pray that this is not going to set us back with all the work we've been doing to get her to eat orally. I just can't think about that too much right now though - one thing at a time! We will cross this bridge when we get there, but in the meantime we'll just work on getting healthy again.


You'd never know she was running over 100 degree temperature when this picture was taken.

Our sweet girl wants so bad to be her happy self, and occasionally we are able to get a little smile, but overall she really isn't a very happy little camper.

6 comments:

Camren and Tiffany said...

Sorry she is sick that is always so sad :( especially for her we miss her big smiles :)

shelley said...

Lisa, you guys are amazing. I'm sorry little Eden has had such troubles. What a sweet little girl. We miss you! :)

Jen Kesler said...

I just got caught up on your blog. I about cried my eyes out when I read the post about your brother...so awesome! I'm sorry Eden isn't feeling well. I sure hope she feels better really soon!!!

Abby said...

I hope she gets better soon too!! We'll be saying some extra prayers for you guys.

Amber said...

She is so cute, poor baby. You hang in there...you are a great mommy. We will be praying for her.

Theresa said...

She is such a trooper (along with you two as well). She is in our prayers!