
Michael's life, and all of our lives, were drastically changed on Jan 3rd of this year when Michael was severly injured in an IED attack in Afghanistan. Since that day he has been recovering in both Washington DC and Palo Alto, CA. My dad was out there for the first 6 weeks before having to return to NM for work, and my mom was with Michael the entire time. Wednesday was an amazing day for the family as we welcomed both mom and Michael home.
It's hard for me to put words to how I felt that day. People of the community, both those we know and those we don't, really came together to show their support for Michael and the hero that he is. It was an amazing experience to be a part of.
Our immediate family was able to be escorted to the actual arrival gate so that we could have some time to reunite with mom and Michael away from the crowd outside the security checkpoint. Before Michael came off the plane, an announcer had come over the intercom and told the people in the waiting area that Michael was a wounded airman returning from Afghanistan. When he walked out the door of the terminal everyone in the area stood and began to applaud him. It was such a touching experience, and one I will never forget. We hugged and cried as the strangers around us audibly showed Michael the support he deserves. As we then proceeded out of the gate area, several people came up to Michael to say thank you.
We walked out of the security checkpoint into an amazing welcome! The crowd was huge, consisting of family, friends, news media crews, and plenty of strangers who were there with the Blue Star Mother's group. Oh and I can't forget to mention that there was even a bag pipe player serenading us with some patriotic tunes! It was so much fun and I can't describe how much I appreciate all the people who were there to support our family.
Here are some (ok, lots!) of photos from the airport:















The welcome at the airport was amazing, but the party didn't stop there! The family caravan of vehicles was then escorted by police and the Patriot Guard Motorcycle Riders from the airport to my parents home. There were so many motorcycles!

Once we got into Bosque Farms, our home town, the streets were lined with people there cheering and saluting Michael. It was so touching.

By the end of the day, after most the visitors had gone, Michael was so worn out!
My family has been so moved by this experience. Thanks again to everyone who came to show their support. I know that Michael too was extremely touched and honored that so many came out to show their gratitude and support for him.
Michael - I want you to know that I am so proud that you're my brother! You have been so amazing throughout this journey and have taught me so much about always looking for the positives in any experience. Your courage and bravery has been so inspiring. You truly are an American hero - my hero.
So as if all of this isn't enough to bring pure joy and happiness, this also happened....


Congrats to you both! Jesse, we are so excited to welcome you into this crazy family! We couldn't be any more excited and happy for these two lovebirds!
8 comments:
Lisa--
That truly is amazing. What a touching, sweet story. I literally could not hold back my tears at this show of love and support and all that your brother has sacrificed for our country. please tell him "thank you" from us.
on a side note, have you seen the movie, "taking chance"? It kinda reminded me of this- very sweet and touching story. Anyway, as if you're not busy enough...but if you get the chance, i highly recommend it.:) good luck to your brother and his fiance!
Wow Lisa, that is amazing. That must have been a really emotional reunion; it's emotional for me just thinking about it! It really is so amazing what your brother and the other men that fight do for our country. I'm also glad Eden was feeling well that day. I hope she is better soon! Congrats to your brother on getting married! That is awesome!
I love this post! Thank you for sharing. I was truly touched by the support of all those who love and appreciate Michael and his bravery. Thank you Michael!!!! Congrats on the new sister-in-law. That is so exciting!
What a touching story! I was telling Jim (my husband) about it and Ben (our 4 year old) wanted to see the pictures so I pulled up your blog and showed Ben the first picture of Michael. Ben said "Mom is that the SuperHero?" I said "yep, Ben that's him" :)
I have been following Michael's blog, and I have just been so amazed at his attitude, and his true heroic nature. This post was so touching, and it really touches me to see such good people, and a wonderful homecoming for him. Congratulations on the new addition to your family too! What an exciting proposal!
Thanks for posting this. Michael is awesome, your whole family is. Happy he was able to come home. Congrats on the new addition. :-)
That is amazing! We are so glad he got the welcome home he deserves. Michael will always hold a special place in our familie's hearts and we are so proud of him! We wish him and Jesse nothing but happiness in the future :)
Thank you Lisa for sharing this. Your brother (and family for that matter) is truly amazing! I cried the first time I read this post, and then again when reading it to my family. We are very thankful for the service he gave and for the inspirational example he has set. I'm so happy he had such a wonderful welcome home.
Post a Comment