Friday, May 24, 2019

Eden Procedure #2

We finished the last few days of school just in time for Eden and I to head to Denver for her second procedure.   On our drive in, we stopped at a random mexican food restaurant in Pueblo for some dinner.  We just happened to choose the night where kids eat free, get balloon friends, and there was even a live mariachi band.  Win!  It was so fun.

The following morning we were in the hospital geared up and ready to go.  The plan was to see how the airway had healed from her first procedure a month ago.  Then, if necessary, he would laser out more tissue from her upper airway.
When we were here a month ago, Eden had a very hard time coming out of anesthesia.  She couldn't breath and her airway was seizing and she struggled to cough mucus and get good breaths for quite some time.  It was scary and difficult for her.  This time I was so grateful that they were prepared with a CPAP machine to help hold her airway open as she came awake from the anesthesia.  She was very mad, and complained that it was giving her a terrible headache, but she was able to breathe better and it was a much safer experience.  Thank goodness.  Even though we do this every year, there are still scary surprises sometimes and I hate it.  This poor airway has been through a lot which means this tough girl has sure been through a lot.  I love her deeply and wish so badly I could take her place.
Dr. Prager ended up taking out a bit more of the tissue that was causing the obstruction in her airway so we spent another night there in the hospital to monitor her and make sure she would not get too inflamed and swollen.  She did well and handled it all with such grace and patience.

I hate the circumstances, but I love the time I get to be one-on-one with Eden.  We have a very deep connection and have learned to really communicate without words.  She is so strong and teaches me so much. I hope this procedure will help her going forward so we can avoid this place for quite some time now.

Meanwhile back at home, these three hooligans were having tons of fun adventures with dad.  Teamwork at it's finest.

1 comment:

Brad Justice said...

My brave Eden. You are in inspiration!