Thursday, December 13, 2012

Thumb Sucking

From the time she was tiny, Eden loved sucking her thumb. I remember fondly how much I loved sucking my thumb as a child and remember how hard it was to give up! So I was nervous when Eden started sucking her thumb, but it was a life saver and the best comfort for her through all the hard things she has experienced. This past year, we have had less intensive medical stuff and it's been on my mind that I needed to wean her from her thumb. I realized that if she had her blankie, she would definitely want to have her thumb in her mouth, so we had to start there. She knows now that the blankie is just for bedtime and she has done well with leaving it in her bed, so that meant that she usually was only sucking her thumb at bedtime too.

Well, a couple weeks ago I took Eden to the dentist and we were talking about her thumb sucking. He said it isn't really a big deal until the permanent teeth start coming in, but if she can stop sucking her thumb, it would be best. So when we got home from the dentist and got up to her bed for naptime, here's the conversation Eden and I had:

Me: Eden did you hear what the dentist said about sucking your thumb? He said you should stop doing that.
Eden: Why mom?
Me: Because it's not good for your teeth. It can make them stick out and look crazy.
Eden: But I like my thumb mom, and I need to put my string up my nose (as she sucks her thumb, she twists her blankie string around in her nose).
Me: Well Eden, you can still put your string in your nose, and find something else that comforts you, like rubbing your cheek with your thumb. You just can't put it in your mouth anymore.
Eden: Ok mom, I'll try.
Me: Do you want me to put some tape on your thumb to help you remember?
Eden: Yeah.

And that was it! I put some tape on her thumb and left her to her nap. Fortunately, we have a video baby monitor so I came downstairs and watched how she would handle it. She laid there for a bit looking at her thumb, and then she just put her string up her nose, rolled over, and went to sleep!

That same day, when bedtime came around she jumped into her bed, grabbed her blankie, and without even thinking she stuck her thumb in her mouth. Before I could even say anything, she pulled it out, made a spitting noise and then laughed and said, "oops, I don't suck my thumb." She then ASKED me to put tape on her thumb so she wouldn't forget.

In my mind I'm thinking, "Is this really happening? Is my 3 year old really that mature and logical?"

Well the answer is yes because since that day, she asks for tape on her thumb when she goes to bed and she hasn't sucked it since.

Here's to hoping Bentley will give it up just as easily!!

No comments: